If you are on active duty today, anywhere in the world, or have served a minimum of one day federal active service during any eligible war eras, you are a veteran and you’re eligible to become a Legionnaire.
We’re veterans just like you, nearly 3 million strong, who care about America, veterans and their families, and our nation’s youth. The Legion is a powerful voice in Washington dedicated to preserving the rights we’ve all earned by service to our nation in uniform.
We invite you to join us now. Membership brings an impressive array of benefits. The American Legion is always there for you and your family. Just like you, we’re “Still Serving America!”
You must have served at least one day of active military duty during the dates below and were honorably discharged or still serving honorably.
• April 6, 1917 to Nov. 11, 1918 (World War I)
• Dec. 7, 1941 to Dec. 31, 1946 (World War II)*
• June 25, 1950 to Jan. 31, 1955 (Korean War)
• Feb. 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War)
• Aug. 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon / Grenada)
• Dec. 20, 1989 to Jan. 31, 1990 (Panama)
• Aug. 2, 1990 to today (Gulf War / War On Terrorism)
* Merchant Marines–During this War Era Only